- About Us
- Faculty of Art & Design
- Faculty of Business & Management
- Faculty of Chinese Medicine
- Faculty of Chinese Studies
- Faculty of Engineering & Information Technology
- Faculty of Humanities & Social Science
- School of Foundation Studies
- Southern Institute of Technical Education (SITE)
- School of Professional Continuing Education (SPACE)
- Sim Mow Yu Chinese Education & Teacher Training Centre
- Institute Of Graduate Studies & Research
- Research Centre
- Research Institute of Chinese Ethnicity and Culture
- A+i Design Research Centre
- Centre for Business & Management Research
- Research Centre of Traditional Chinese Medicine
- Centre for Applied Artificial Intelligence, Robotic, and IoT (CARI)
- Education, Psychology and Counselling Research Centre
- Social Sciences Research Centre (SSRC)
- Centre for Malaysian Studies
- Campus Life
Diploma in Tourism Management
Course Duration: 2.Years 4 Months
The Diploma in Tourism Management is distinctively designed to meet the exponential rising needs of tourism and related industries such as travel companies, tour operators, airlines event management companies, recreation companies, and cruise ships.
An optimum blend of theory, practice and industrial training offered by Southern University College gears students to both conceptual and analytical skills relevant to the tourism industry. Moreover, a broad understanding of key business, tourism and hospitality concepts benefits students in terms of developing intellectual skills which are needed to cope with today’s complex and dynamic tourism and hospitality environment. The curriculum integrates the development of professional skills, values and ethics to shape competent professionals with integrity throughout their careers.
Aims & Objective
The aim of this programme is to provide students with the necessary theoretical and practical knowledge in the field of tourism and hospitality management that students need in order to either gain meaningful employment at a supervisory or junior management level in the tourism industry or to continue their studies at Bachelor’s degree level in tourism or related fields.
The objectives of this programme:
1. Provide the educational platform to satisfy a range of administrative, operational and management careers in the tourism and hospitality industry.
2. Fully prepare students academically to be able to successfully move up to a degree course in tourism and related fields.
3. Enable students to develop a sound understanding and interpretation of current theories, concepts and practice in the fields of tourism management.
4. Provide students with job-ready skills to enable them to perform at the highest operational industry standard.
5. Develop students’ personal qualities including integrity, concern for others, self-awareness, teamwork capabilities and leadership traits.
The tourism and hospitality industry requires professionals who are able to demonstrate skills such as communication, administration, leaderships and teamwork as well as possess a demonstrable technical expertise. These skills are embedded in the programme and individual learning outcomes.
Graduates of this programme will have good career opportunities in the related business fields, such as travel agencies, tourist attractions and recreational hubs, hotels, airports, cruises and others. Graduates who have completed the program will be able to handle day-to-day business operation functions starting from junior or executive level. The emergent needs of the profession include competency in communication, analysis and decision making, abilities to organize and work independently as well as good interpersonal skills. This programme fully prepares students with these required skills.
Common Core Module
• Financial Accounting I
• Computer Applications
• Fundamentals of Management
• Fundamentals of Marketing
• Consumer Behaviour
Discipline Core / Specialization Modules
• Introduction to Tourism and Travel Industry
• Geography for Tourism and Travel
• Introduction to Leisure and Recreation
• Tourism Destination Planning and Development
• Transportation for Tourists
• Travel Agency Operations
• Concept of Ecotourism
• Food and Culture in Tourism and Hospitality Industry
• Travel Ticketing
• Computer Reservation Systems
• Local Tour Planning and Operations
• Tourism Promotion and Marketing
• International Tourism Business
• Managing Guest Experience
• International Tour Planning Operations
• Entrepreneurship for Tourism
Select Any Two
• General English
• Business Communication
• Basic Chinese
• Communicative English
• Travel Agencies & Tour Operations
• Hotel and related Hospitality Industry
• Executive /Supervisor in International and
National Food Chains
• Executive /ln-charge in Hospital and Institutional
• Executives/Supervisors in State Tourism Development Corporations
1. SPM with minimum 3 credits
2. UEC with Grade B in 3 subjects
3. Any other equivalent qualification which recognized by Malaysian Government.