Department of Languages & General Studies
Division of General Studies
On top of providing MQA required courses, the General Studies Division also offers courses related to various aspects of humanities. The division aims to produce graduates who are equipped with knowledge of professional and liberal studies that will serve them in becoming well-rounded intellectuals. All courses offered here are specially intended to emphasise the integration of many aspects of humanities and social sciences, a significant element of human life. The interdisciplinary approach in the courses in this division has proven to be advantageous to students from all backgrounds.
• Pengajian Malaysia 2 (for local students) MPU 2153
• Bahasa Kebangsaan A MPU 2213 (for students without credits in SPM Bahasa Melayu)
• Introduction to Mass Communication MPU 2223
• Critical Thinking Skills MPU 2233
• Drawing Fundamental MPU 2243
• Fundamentals of Management MPU 2263
• Fundamentals of Marketing MPU 2273
• Public Speaking MPU 2283
• Foreign Language — Japanese MPU 2293
• Introduction to Political Science MPU 2303
• Kebudayaan Melayu 2 MPU 2313
• Pengajian Moral MPU 2323
• Malaysian and Singaporean Literature in English MPU 2333
• Media, Culture and Communication MPU 2343
• Cross Cultural Management MPU 2353
• History of Art & Design MPU 2363
• Life 20 LMPU 2412
• Intermediate English ENGL 2113/ Communicative English DGEN1013
• Physical Education 1(for old batch student before 2020A intake) PYED 1051
• Chinese(for old batch student before 2020A intake) CHIN 1033
• Basic Chinese(for old batch student before 2020A intake) CHIN 1003
Students who enrolled into SUC before 2020A are required to earn 11 credits for MPU subjects (1 subject, 3 credits, from each category) and 7 credits (3 subjects, i.e. Intermediate English, Chinese or Basic Chinese, Physical Education) for UC Compulsory subjects.
Students who enrolled into SUC in 2020A or after are required to earn 11 credits (1 subject, 3 credits, from each category) for MPU subjects. They should refer to their own faculty programme study plan for UC Compulsory subject enrollment.
Life 20 (MPU 2412, 2 Credits) / Life 30 (MPU3412, 2 Credits)
Life 20 is an MPU U4 course for Diploma students while Life 30 is an MPU U4 course for Degree students. Each subject contains three categories as follows:
b. Classical Books Reading
c. Voluntary Work
Students need to fulfil the requirements of all three categories above to pass this subject. A detailed briefing will be given by the assigned lecturer during the first class.
1. No exemption or credit transfer for Life 20/30 is allowed for students who have completed the U4 subject in other universities, or for second year degree students who have taken Life 20 at Diploma level.
2. The Division of General Studies reserves the rights to make adjustments to the rules and SOP of Life 20/30 when it is deemed necessary.
3. Please join the SUC General Studies Centre Facebook Group and refer to the notices on it from time to time for the latest instructions and announcements.
Facebook Group: https://www.facebook.com/groups/2387230537973591/?ref=share
4. The Life 20/30 website will be officially shut down on 1st May 2022. From Semester 2022B onwards, students who enrol in Life 20/30 will have to attend classes like other general subjects.
5. For more information, please refer to SUC General Studies Centre (Ext. 160).